Monday 28 May 2012

The Internet Influence.

Yesterday, amidst my procrastination from studying for my exam (which is actually tomorrow... this is how you can tell I will do well...) my laptop stopped charging, to which I panicked at and immediately tried to find some sort of solution before the battery would give up. Somehow, it had felt like someone was playing some sort of sadistic game with me where I have to solve this problem to save my life.

 Then it hit me. Literally. Well, no, not literally.

This was what my life predominantly revolved around. Without my computer I would have nothing to do. I cannot imagine what life is like without an internet connection. As soon as I wake in the morning, this is the first thing I go to and circulate around the same websites for amusing things and when I get home from school this is the first thing I would return to, just to circulate back again to the exact websites in hopes of a glimpse something new.

As I type this revelation (yeah, I wrote 'revelation') right now, I wonder to myself how someone could spend so much time sitting in front of this small piece of machinery and contently type or watch things for hours. Though, I guess the internet does have advantages like the fact that it's almost another universe where you get to communicate with other people in the world that you would otherwise never reach. And without this computer or the internet I wouldn't be able to type what I'm typing right now into this blog about how computers are evil and will soon take over the universe.

 I often heard one of my psychology teachers talk about the impact of the ever evolving social media to people (us) and that would be around the time my mind would wander off to other things like unicorns. But, I guess, this is something that is happening and maybe subtly affecting us. It's weird, I imagine in the future they will refer to this era as the regression of human evolution where we all spent way too much time in the computer watching Game of Thrones (which is totally not what I just spent 8 hours on... totally... but dragons....)

1 comment:

Followers